Saturday, July 25, 2009

Apple Suicide

I'm working in silicon valley right now at high tech firm. Why would I do something so stupid? Actually my early inspiration was watching a film called "Pirates of the Silicon Valley". The movie re-enacted the early computer industry and rivalry of Apple and Microsoft. I was truly amazed by the original Apple Computer Company, and it inspired me to seek a career in high tech.

The original apple company was amazing. It wasn't just a company out to make money, but to make history by doing something unique. Nowadays, I don't like Apple as much. Instead of inspiring unique creativity, innovation, and expression, the Apple of today pushes people to be the same. Everybody wants an ipod, everybody wants an iphone, because it's the "cool" or fashionable thing to do. Maybe it's not Apple's fault, as they still can make some great products, but it's an unfortunate effect of their modern marketing. The old Apple users were unique and different. Nowadays, Apple has mass slave-like following of people wanting to follow a trend instead of set a new one. This is my old Apple that I remember:



Anyway. There's a controversial news regarding Apple. Apple's largest manufacturer of products is a company called Foxconn. Foxconn is a Taiwanese company with manufacturing plants in China. A 25 year old product manager in one of these factories was in charge of 16 of Apple's newest iPhone prototypes. It was discovered that one of the prototypes was missing. The Foxconn managers threatened him, accused him of stealing it, beat him, ransacked his apartment, and possibly other acts of intimidation. The 25 year old man committed suicide by jumping out of the window of his apartment.

Foxconn's management technique is frightening. But I think Apple should take responsibility over their partners. If I were the CEO of a company, I'd be one hecka angry guy if one of my employees or partners treated people like this.

No comments: